Thursday, July 14, 2011

Acerca de Cerveza

If you go out to a bar or restaurant in Ecuador a beer should cost you anywhere between $1 and $2.  There are two brands of beer:  Pilsener and Club.  Both brands come in 300 ml (~12 oz) bottles but Pilsener is quite commonly found in 578 ml (~22 oz) bottles.  The best deal that can be found in a store is usually $1.25 for a large bottle of Pilsener (578ml).

Any establishment that sells beer is going to sell Pilsener.  Consider yourself lucky if you find Club or any other types of beer.  If you find anything beyond the national beers it will probably be Budweiser or maybe Corona, but you’ll pay a lot more for it.


What’s my preference?  I prefer Pilsener.  I’m no beer expert and I’m not going to try and tell you that Pilsener has more flavor or whatever, but to me it does.  Some of the other students preferred Pilsener while others preferred Club.  I guess most of you reading this would have to go to Ecuador and see for yourself which beer is better because you’d be hard pressed to find any of these beers outside of Ecuador.

After I did a little research online I found that there is a third major beer in Ecuador called ‘Biela’, but this beer must be mostly in the coastal regions such as Guayaquil where it is brewed because I never saw it.  I also found out that Pilsener and Club are actually brewed by the same brewing company, Cervecería Nacional Ecuador, based out of Guayaquil.  All I can say is that Cervecería Nacional Ecuador certainly has the market share.

No comments:

Post a Comment